Post subject: Upgrades I'd like to see
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 pm 

1. L3
2. The bigger battery (36kWh), as originally described
3. Cruise control
4. D/Eco/B driving modes
5. Heated seats/wheel/mirrors
6. A spare tire (compact OK)
7. Take along charger upgraded to handle both L1 and L2, as is available aftermarket for the Nissan Leaf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:20 pm 

Hi 'gra'

Have you pre-ordered a Coda Sedan? Or are you at the thinking about buying one stage?

I agree that a car without a spare tire is a little too risky for my liking, especially in a rainy climate, and if I'm going to have my wife drive the kids around in the vehicle. I guess they (Coda Automotive and other manufacturers that skip the spare tire) figure that electric vehicles are only ever 100miles at most from civilization and a tow truck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm 

mitchell wrote:
Hi 'gra'

Have you pre-ordered a Coda Sedan? Or are you at the thinking about buying one stage?

I agree that a car without a spare tire is a little too risky for my liking, especially in a rainy climate, and if I'm going to have my wife drive the kids around in the vehicle. I guess they (Coda Automotive and other manufacturers that skip the spare tire) figure that electric vehicles are only ever 100miles at most from civilization and a tow truck.

I'm interested in BEVs in general, and I have very specific range requirements. By process of elimination, only the Coda (with the bigger battery) has the range/pricepoint I need at the moment. I drove one at the GGEVA meeting March 4th, and have been following their development for some time. However, I buy a car for the long haul, usually 15-20 years (until it wears out), and spend a lot of time selecting the car that best suits my needs. As I'm probably borderline for range even with the 36kWh battery, I wouldn't even consider buying or leasing until Coda gets some cars out with Enterprise/Hertz so I can try one for a weekend and see if it will work, now and in the future (when the battery capacity has degraded). I need 100+ mile freeway range, and want L3. AFAIC, once there are half a dozen L3s around each of California's four metropolitan areas, any BEV without L3 capability will be functionally obsolescent, and I 'd want it for the range extension in any case. We're finally starting to get some L3s, so that day isn't that far off.

As for the lack of a spare, more and more cars are going that way for fuel economy reasons, which is fine if you mostly drive urban but doesn't cut it in rural driving, which is the majority of my driving. The Coda's efficiency is quite a bit lower than all the other currently available BEVs/PHEVs owing presumably to higher weight and/or drag; the weight is due to the larger (and lower specific energy) battery and the larger motor the extra weight necessitates, and the drag presumably due to when it was designed. So leaving out the spare was probably necessary to maximize the range, not to mention it would take up a lot of room in the trunk (batteries are under the floor).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:06 pm 

I was thinking about this the other day and how hard would it be to create a portable battery charger. So lets say you wanted to go 200 miles in your coda sedan but knew there would be no charging stations along the way. Could there be like an optional extra battery to allow you to go further on your own? Also great coda electric car suggestions by the way gra - I hope to come up with a few more myself to post in the thread.