Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm 

Looks like the Coda Sedan is on sale in California for a starting price of $37,350 plus $895 shipping. It is lower than the earlier estimates that the Coda electric car would cost $44,900 - but! It's still more expensive than the Nissan Leaf.

I know a few Coda Sedan electric vehicles have been sold, but how many? Does anyone know? I think the Nissan Leaf has a couple of years of history and experience which may encourage people to purchase it rather than the Coda Sedan electric car.

The Coda does have a longer range. The EPA estimates the range at 88 miles per charge, where as the Nissan Leaf is only estimated at 73 miles per charge.

Is there anyone on this Coda Forum that owns a Coda Electric sedan?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 am 

I am planning on being an owner later in the year when the 36kwh pack becomes available. The range is what appeals to me. A Tesla S would be nice, but hey, I will have a son in college in a few years. Maybe when he graduates. . .

I have been renting a LEAF for the past week and have gotten used to living within the range limitations, though more range will be nice.
What is MSRP on a LEAF? I thought it was the same as CODA's short range sedan.

No spare tire? That is troubling. I wonder if I can buy my own small size spare that is compatible to throw in the trunk during longish trips.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 pm 

Where are you renting a Leaf from? That's a great idea to see how you like using an electric vehicle. Are you just charging it at home on a 110V outlet then?

Lack of spare tire in the Coda Sedan: Lots of people are carrying a can of tire-sealer stuff that is supposed to inflate and patch a tire to enable you to drive to a service station. The advantage of the Coda Sedan and other electric cars is that you're rarely far from somewhere, since you're limited by the range!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 pm 

Range is a good thing. Are you located in California right now, or are you hoping that when Coda roles out the extended range Coda Sedan it will also be available nation wide?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am 

Hi Marta,

The new 2012 coda sedan switched to a 31-kWh battery specifically just to compete in price with the Leaf. CODA has been around for awhile with people even driving / testing them in 2011. After California tax credits and rebates the coda electric car is only $27,250. The CODA sedan ev can also go up to 125 miles on a single battery charge (not 88). MSRP on the new Nissan Leaf SL is $37,250 which is the exact same as a coda sedan electric vehicle. I think the 2 cars are priced much closer then you think with the CODA actually possibly being cheaper and the real value/cost coming down to which ev you think has the better features and servicing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:11 pm 

Hi OriEri,

Where did you rent your Nissan Leaf from and do you know if you can rent the coda electric car? I think that would be a great idea if CODA automotive had a few places you could go to rent the CODA sedan for a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am 

I've heard that the battery is third of electric car cost so it will be acceptable to say the car with higher battery price will cost more. But I have also read that the cost of an electric car battery, specifically the lithium-ion battery cells which make up the battery pack of an EV, will drop in coming years. This is based on the study made by a business analysis and research firm, McKinsey and Company. The study released that as more batteries are made, each unit gets cheaper to make, the parts to make them get cheaper and the batteries improve to the point that they can compete with gas-powered cars.