Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold charging
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 pm 

Is there anyone out there with a Coda in a colder climate? 20-35 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm having charging issues. I'm hoping that once it's warmed up my coda will return to its normal operation, but I'm worried it won't... Any input or advise would be helpful. Oh and my heat doesn't work either. I believe my problem lies with the coolants pump, but I'm waiting for the omicheck to be sent to me.

I'm glad I have another vehicle to drive! Coda has been parked last three months.

Post subject: Re: Cold charging
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:25 am 

Yes. It refuses to charge when temp is around or below 35f. I have the same issue. When ambiant temp goes to 40f, then it charges fine. Also the green screen goes blank or grainy if outside temp is around 35f. Please let us know what you find out with scanner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 pm 

Alright. The water pump began working again after I took the car on a couple of 20+ mile trips. It must've reset. The charging issue, however is still there. It'll charge usually when it's in the garage, but when it drops below 20 outside it gets tough. I don't drive this thing in the snow because the tires are not designed for ice or snow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:24 am 

Hi there - I tried to start my Coda today - it was probably 50F - nothing. Checked the SOC of the 12V battery and it was 4.8. Apparently, I need to keep the car plugged in when I'm not using it during the colder months.Tomorrow I will put the 12V battery on a regular charger ( after disconnecting the cables) and see what happens after that.
I'm wondering Greenmile, where you got your omitec scanner with the Coda software. I'm looking for one for my car.

Thanks -Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 am 

Rich was supposed to send the omnicheck to me, but It never came. Thankfully I never needed it. I know many people have had issues with the car not working properly if that 12v battery isn't charged.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 am 

I had issues when I first got my Coda this winter with the 12v battery not staying charged. I was told to disconnect the + cable when not using the car for a couple of days which didn't make sense since the high voltage pack is supposed to keep the 12v battery charged even if the Coda is parked for a while. Anyway, I got a great tip from Brian at Thunderstruck Motors - he said to remove the 12v negative cable where it grounds to the chassis and grind away the paint and reattach it.Also, he said to do the same thing where the dc-dc converter grounds to the chassis in the trunk under the styrafoam panel. Since I did these two things the 12v battery has stayed charged. - Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm 

Has anyone found a way to charge in the cold?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:54 am 

I have a heated garage at my house, but as a college student, I can't exactly use it. I've been driving gas cars while getting the Coda registered, and am mixed between taking the Coda or a gas car when I go back tomorrow. The heat is normally off in the garage, and as such it was around 30 degrees in there, the Coda would not charge as everyone has experienced in the cold, I took a hair dryer to the chargers, dc-dc converter, and the box that combines it all each getting about 5 minutes and plugged it in. The pluged in/charge icon on the dash (next to lightning bolt and under battery percentage) did not illuminate, but the fan for heat/ac turned on, and it brought the energy meter on the side of the house from an almost stop to a fairly quick spin, akin to charging. I walked away and about 30 minutes later felt both chargers and they were somewhat warm as though they had been charging. Alas the charge indicator showed no charging had be done and the "green screen" said that there was no charging going on, but the battery temperature had risen. I left it plugged in for around 3 hours then came back. The chargers were warm, the charge indicator showed it had been charging and the plugged in icon was now there. The battery temperature was also showing to be at the minimum of the "within range" area. I unplugged, then plugged back in (less than 30 seconds apart) and the charge indicator was there again.
I have now moved the car to the 8 degree outside and will let it essentially freeze then once again hit it with the hair dryer and see if I can get the chargers to heat the battery then begin charging.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:31 pm 

I'm in Colorado, and I just mothball the Coda 2-3 months out of the year and drive my Jeep instead. It's not worth the hassle to keep it running in the coldest parts of the winter, and there is some risk of damaging components by charging in the cold. Also I had a terrible experience where the car was stuck in an icy rut; a few high speed forward/reverse cycles tripped the critical fault. I nearly shat my pants. Thankfully, a cycle of the 12V Aux power cleared the fault and I was able to rig a tow strap and pull the car up to my garage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am 

Alas after a night in the 8° outside (dropped far lower over night), I couldn't get it to charge even with the hair dryer to the chargers. It never told the EVSE to go to state C so the car never "requested" any power, the was also NO high voltage present in the trunk (it's only present during charging and driving). Now the question is, does another part need to be warmed to get it to charge or do the chargers just need to be warmed up more.
I don't know where all the wires go in the car, and don't want to fully disassemble it to find out, but I do know that the chargers communicate via can, and other than that, I see no communication ports in the trunk. Based on that, I would say that the chargers don't turn on the EVSE, but rather some other part does, very likely the same part that communicates with the BMS. The issue then becomes, the chargers DO measure temperature, but this same model of charger is used, without fault in the cold, on the Chevrolet Volt, so if it's related to the chargers temperature reading, one of the following must happen:
1) The chargers are programmed differently from the Volt and as such will not activate in the cold.
2) The chargers provided to Coda all have faulty temp sensors that read far below the real value and although the Volt's charger would have the same low temp cut off, it never gets activated as it doesn't read as low (I feel the likelihood of this is so ridiculously small it's almost impossible).
3) Before signaling the EVSE to turn on, the computer that communicates between the chargers and BMS activates the chargers via 12V auxiliary power and reads the value as two low for Coda's programming.
If it's unrelated to the chargers temp readings, then another set of possibilities comes up such as:
1) The battery temp sensor that is used for the "green screen" and likely connected to the BMS tells whatever part signals the EVSE that the battery can take 0 amps which the other part interprets as there is no need to connect for charging.
2) The part that communicates to the EVSE has its own temp sensor separate from everything else and despite everything else requesting power it does not connect.
3) Some part actually fails when it's cold and in not communicating with other parts, the car decides is not going to charge (I highly doubt this).
A few other possibilities exist as well, but we really need more evidence to be able to start eliminating them. Maybe reading all CAN messages would help (I don't know how to go about that). Also to eliminate 2 of the 3 regarding the chargers temp sensor, someone could buy the kit from EVTV for $1,000 and hook it up as a stand alone charger. If it works in the cold we know that the charger is not reading below a given threshold AND that the programming on them allows charging when cold. Next would be to remove the two chargers from the car, extend the cables out of the trunk and into something like a big Styrofoam cooler. Put a hairdryer in there on low for hours to ensure the chargers are warm, the plug in the car, if they turn on and heat the battery then charge the car you know the issue DOES lie within the chargers and then you would face two options, go to a junk yard and pull a charger out of each of two crashed Volts or figure out some way to heat the Coda supplied charger. If warm chargers don't resolve the problem though, you'll likely face a more difficult resolution. The issue with the cold would then be an issue with electronics likely proprietary to Coda AND buried within the vehicle so there is no swapping for another company's or simple pre-heating. At that point, the only way I could see a work around is to install a small heater.