Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Having some issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 am 

Our CODA finally did what I've been worried about since the bankruptcy.... it has an issue that severely limits its usability.

First, a couple of months ago, even though both the needle and digital charge level inductors showed 27% charge, it ran out of battery.

I cleaned up both the battery and charger grounds (sanded of the paint on the body where they connect)

Then a few weeks later we got the red car with the exclamation point warning light. Well, we really did not have much of a choice, so we kept driving. All temp reading for the batteries and drive-train are fine.

Then a few weeks back, the "lightning bolt" (indicating approx 10% charge) started coming on earlier.... so when it came on, we charged.

Last week I got hold of a CODA code reader to see what I could see. Here were the codes:

2 battery management DTC's:

P1B12 - Cell SOC imbalance
P1B2E - J1772A Invalid Duty Cycle

cleared both

I poked around in the battery and saw cell voltages ranging from 3321 all the way up to 53103... they were so far apart, I don't believe the code reader, or it was out of calibration.

1 Charger DTC:

U1029 Master/Slave communications failure

cleared

1 CMM DTC:

U0111 Lost communication with Battery Energy Control Module A
The U0111 will not clear.
P0000 - unknown fault code

Slave Charger DTC:

U1029 - Master slave communication failure
P0000 - unknown fault code
I feel relatively certain the communications failures happened while I was cleaning the grounds.

After this, I left it on our 240V charger for 24 hours to see if the cells would "balance out".

I got into these Driveline DTC (some repeats):
P3103 - Battery System .... exited high voltage while running
P3115 - Safety System critical disable driveline control
U0110 - lost communication with motor control module
P3116 - system safety critical disable system fault level 2
P0A05- coolant pump loss
U0110 - lost communication with motor control module
U1073 - motor can bus off

Cleared the codes that would clear, and the red light with the exclamation point went out

After this code reading session, I left it on our 240V charger for 24 hours to see if the cells would "balance out".

The battery is taking about the right amount of charge for the miles driven: light on at 62%, we have drive about 38 miles, and it take about 13 KW-hr (in an hour and a half) to charge

Now the "lightning bolt" (indicating approx 10% charge) comes on when the charge indicators show approx 62% charge, the lightning bolt is right.... about 8 miles after it came on today.... at 54% charge, we were looking for a place to park.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Having some issue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:35 pm 

How many miles are on your Coda? There's so many faults it's hard to decipher what the culprit could be. What brand charger are you using? Do you ever use 240 chargers at public locations?

I've experienced the EXACT same issues with my car, but only if I charge with the 110V charger for extended time frames. Your batteries, for whatever reason, aren't balancing correctly. That could be caused by your charging station or perhaps the onboard chargers in the car.

I'd contact Rick to see what advice he can give you. Perhaps he could help diagnose and assist in getting a new part. Hopefully the battery itself is fine.

Based on what I've experienced it would seem like a good idea to investigate the charger and then go from there. Whatever modules or systems used to ensure the batteries are balancing while charging could be the issue too.

Here's Ricks email: Richard Curtis Jr. <rick@codacars.com>;

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:27 pm 

Did you ever get this fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:54 am 

Greenmile wrote:
Did you ever get this fixed?

unfortunately... no.

I talked to Rick, he suggested the 24 hours on the charger. Same problem - lightning bolt at 45 ish miles....

I talked to the only CODA mechanic I could find, he interpreted the codes and said the charger in the car is fine (I use the 220 GE charger that I got from CODA) and the other codes indicate a cell imbalance (could be one cell out of 700 causing the issue). He suggested doing a dozen low use charges (drive 2 miles, charge, repeat..... 12 times) did this and it did not get any better, maybe even worse..... now the lightning bolt comes on at approx 26 miles. Not sure if the short cycle charge did it, or things just got worse at the same time.

The kicker is all the other systems on the car act like nothing is wrong the mile to empty, % of charge, everything acts like I have 100% battery.....(until the lightning bolt comes on).. it even only takes 25% of the time to charge the battery, so it the car is only using 25% to give us 25% of full range.

Based on all I've learned so far I need to 1) find some spare cells, and 2) drop the battery, peel it open and do a boatload of charging/discharging and cell measurements for first each cluster of cells (battery is something like 116 clusters with 6 cells in each) to find the "low" cluster, and then repeat for each low cluster looking for the low cell or cells in each of those clusters. From my research it looks like each step takes a week (charge all, measure discharge after a week, then repeat on the identified low cluster/cells, then replace low cells and repeat to verify). So at a minimum, if all goes well, it will take three weeks to fix (1 wk to ID discharging clusters, 1 to ID discharging cells in each cluster, 1 to verify clusters OK after replacing discharging cells).... If I can get some individual cells to begin with. I'll also need to buy a special charger to do the diagnosis (Super Brain 989).

The worst part is I'll need to buy a guesstimate of new cells before I even start, and I have no idea how many are bad.

I'm hoping to be able to find a way to identify the number of bad clusters using the reader, but not sure if that is possible. I really had no intention of becoming a battery expert, but if I do not want a big brick taking up space in my garage, It looks like that is my only option. Getting the battery out W/O having to spend thousands for a lift and battery lift will be another challenge I'll need to address after I find a way to buy new individual cells.

I've contacted CODA Energy today in hope they are using the same cells in their energy storage systems.... I plan to momentarily post in this forum to see if the person that bought all those cells sold here last year might be willing to part with some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:30 pm 

Ouch. Well on the positive side once you have that charger you can rent it to the rest of us once we start having the same issues!

As for lifting and lowering the vehicle I'd suggest maybe four ramps to get the car off the ground at all four corners. (drive the front up and then jack up the back and place the ramps under the rear tires.) That way it's stable and the jack stands won't be in the way of the battery pack. Then maybe two motorcycle lifts to lower the battery down safely. (one on either side of the car) Motorcycle lifts have nice wide platforms. Perhaps a family member or friend could lend you theirs if they have one. Otherwise four independent jacks running thick boards between each other to lower it? Lower it onto a platform that'll allow you to wheel it out from the sides or rear end of the car. Might need to measure to ensure you can even fit it past the wheel base before attempting any of that.

Rick doesn't have access to individual cells? I know Coda is supposedly up and running as a energy storage company. I wonder if they're still making the cells?

How many miles did you have on the car?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 pm 

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BC-MRC-B989.htm

Here's a link to the charger. It's $150

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 am 

You should be able to identify the trouble cell(s) with a general multimeter. If you open up the pack when you are at the lower state of charge point and the car is telling you to stop, then the trouble cells will likely be at a much lower voltage than the rest of the pack.

Do you live in the SF bay area?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:43 am 

Yep, in the Bay Area, Sunnyvale.

This is a chicken and Egg problem.... don't want to buy the batteries until I know how many are bad..... but don't want to have to take the battery out twice either. Still trying to find a source for the batteries, if can find one with them in stock, I'll only have to take the battery out once.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 am 

Then it must have been you who saw my Coda on the stands in my driveway :) I am in Sunnyvale too. Your best bet would be Thundersruck EV. Brian Hall the owner has a special lift for the battery but also might have some cells from a different car. If you decide to do it your self, let me know, I have a floor Jack and the wheel stands. Since I don't have a battery installed I can measure the void and tell you how high we would need to have the car lifted :-|

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:54 am 

Yep, that was me. I talked to Brian and he unfortunately does not have any batteries. I called and emailed CODA..... no reply so far :-( Rick is working to get batteries too. I was able to find one person in L.A. who may be able to help and if I can find the part numbers, I have a friend in China. It would be great to work together to fix both our CODA's

Greenmile - 14,000 miles

Rick and Brian have been very helpful.... the quest continues!