Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Major Fault question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:47 pm 

Howdy - My Coda has about 3K miles on it.I was accelerating from a stop sign last week ( fully charged batteries) and experienced a power drop so I pulled over. The low charge light was on as well as the red major fault light.I turned off the car and tried to restart it but the ready light just blinked and the car would not go. I turned off the car and waited about 5 minutes and then the car would start but with a yellow fault light.I drove home (about ten miles) and parked it. Two days later it started normally with no warning lights and drove fine.Has anyone experienced this ? I have no way to diagnose what's going on, without a device and being in S. Oregon, no Coda mechanics that I know of. I have already, just after I got the car, cleaned the ground contact points for both the 12V battery and the charging system.

Thanks - Dave

Post subject: Re: Major Fault question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 am 

There are a couple ground wires in the trunk that others have posted about. I haven't done the mod yet, but haven't had an issue. Check the grounds and scrape away the paint where needed. Also check the charge of the aux battery. Are you using the 110 cable or a 240 charging station? Nearly 7,000 on mine here in Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:11 am 

Hey there - I did redo those ground connections when I first got the car.Before then, the 12V battery wouldn't stay charged.I noticed the other day under the hood another ground to chassis connection that I might do the same treatment to. Otherwise, without a way to do diagnostics, not sure what's up.BTW, I am charging with 240V - thanks - Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 am 

FWIW I just removed the entire coda wiring harness this weekend and there are three chassis ground points under the front hood. Off the top of my head, 2 on the driver side, and 1 on the passenger side. On both sides just behind the driving headlights on the fender, there is a bundle, and the third is further back on the drivers side fender well (between the fuse box and the brake master cylinder). I'll trace the harness and see if there were any more and/or edit my comment above if I find differently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the tip.Are there any precautions if I were to clean those under the hood ground to chassis connections ? Disconnecting anything else first ? - Dave