Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Loss
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:13 pm 

My Coda looses coolant over time. The left over air in the coolant chamber causes system failure and the car stops when the controller overheats. A guy at thunderstruck Motors says to keep the coolant resivoir cap off when charging so it can burp as its being charged.
I've had no problems sense I have been following that. However, it seems I'm consistently loosing a half a cup of coolant ever other day. I looked everywhere for a leak, could not find one. I've also checked the charging system components under the trunk, completely dry. Where is the coolant going?, Is the distilled water that I add to the coolant evaporating?, Or has there been a known leak area in these Coda's that I/we need to know about.
Thanks, Tucker6321

Post subject: Re: Coolant Loss
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:11 pm 

Hi Phil,

If your loosing the coolant that quickly, it has to be going somewhere.
I would mark the coolant level and turn the car on in my driveway and let it stay on running for an hour to see if there is a puddle anywhere or if the coolant level has dropped.
If there is no visible leak or puddle from the top or underneath the car or in the trunk (which I'm sure you're checked by now), I'd try visually inspecting other areas for coolant leaks, I would suggest removing the skid plate from under the engine compartment at looking at the lines.
the temp sensor hanging there could be the problem, or just a loose petcock on the radiator.

other places to check lines on top of pack running both sides of vehicle all the way down
[url][URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/lukedeptula/media/IMG_0371_zpsyedtxxdf.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
the lines going into the trunk from underneath the carImage
Hope this helps, Luke.