Coda Sedan Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coda ownership
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 pm 

After my first week of owning my Coda I have learned a great deal about the car. Things I like, dislike, and wish were different.

I'm told the range drops in cold weather. Here in Michigan... it's cold. I drove 80 miles on a single charge and while impressed, I hope it's better in the summer.

The car feels like a 10 year-old, $14,000 car. The technology under the hood (and car) appears to be pretty solid. There's rattles and creeks coming from the dash and strut mounts. The radio could have more integration for smart phones. The lack of cruise control and any steering wheel controls just blows my mind. Something that I've had on nearly every car I've owned in every price range have always had some type of switch on the wheel. Since it's meant more for city driving I can get over the lack of cruise, but radio controls and Bluetooth control are almost a must now.

The high pitched drilling sound that comes from under the hood at speeds above 55 is obnoxious and makes talking on the phone impossible. I'll be looking into adding some sound deadening material this summer. My trunk pops open randomly too and is hard to close. I'll be adjusting the latch soon in hopes of fixing that issue.

I'm currently working on having the 240 charger installed and hope to build my own little infrastructure for traveling around the greater Grand Rapids area.

While I have many dislikes I can say I'm overall satisfied with the car. It's nice not using any fuel and I have yet to spend a dime charging it as I have been doing it at work.

I would have never spent the original asking price for the car, but am happy with the price I did pay.

Post subject: Re: Coda ownership
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:03 am 

@Greenmile

Thanks for the post.
That is all good, usable info.

I haven't purchased my Coda yet.
I can't wait.

My credit union would not finance the Coda, because it was not listed in Kelley Blue Book.
And my insurance company would not insure it because they can't find any info on it.
I even provided them a VIN number from the local Coda dealer for them to cross-reference it.
They still couldn't find it.
They would not even do a policy for basic liability.

Guess I'll have to change banks, and insurance companies.
I am going to buy this car.

Who do you use for insurance?
Did you finance your purchase?
If so, with whom.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:32 am 

Please respond to my email at machfoci2002@yahoo.com

I financed through my credit union. Since I have had loans through them before and always pay them off immediately they didn't have much of an issue doing it.

I have insurance through State Farm. My agent had no issue making a policy on the vehicle. Sounds like you're in need of a new agent or company.

It was a good two week long process, but all is well now.

The car is parked for the winter due to the summer tires. Plus I find the aggressive brake regeneration tends to put the car into a skid right away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 am 

We didn't have any issues with Liberty Mutual for insurance.

regarding the aggressive regenerative braking, there was a software update for that--improved the driving experience tremendously! We had ours done before the bankruptcy.
Look up Brian Hall at http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/. He's been set up to service Codas by Rick Curtis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 am 

The update was supposedly done. When the roads are dry I actually like the way the regen works. I very rarely ever have to apply my brakes! I'm loving my coda now that the temps are coming back up! Still a few quirks, but it's a decent little car.